How to Develop a Stronger Email Marketing Strategy for 2017
Tips for achieving the best possible email marketing results in 2017 using proven tactics.
Every successful email marketing campaign has a strategy behind it. Without proper planning and a sound strategy you could end up wasting a lot of time, money and resources in the New Year.
An email marketing strategy is more than just setting a few goals and objectives though. You need to clearly map out how you’re going to reach your goals and how you will measure your success.
Back to basics
Before we get into the tactics you need to be using to enhance your email marketing strategy in 2017, let’s get back to some strategy basics.
- Set your goals. What are you looking to achieve in 2017? It’s important to know what goals you’re working towards before you begin developing the rest of your strategy and your campaigns.
- Conduct a competitor analysis. Who are your main competitors and what have they been up to in 2016? It’s important to identify your competitors’ strengths and weaknesses if you want to be able to stand out.
- Define your target audience. Who are the individuals you are looking to speak to? Brands can have more than one target audience, it’s just important to know who they are so that you know how to reach out to them and grab their attention.
- Decide which emails you’ll need. When you look at your business as a whole, what types of emails would you need to send out? For example, if you have a newsletter, you will need to send out a welcome email. If you have an online store, think about the emails you’ll need to send out around that.
- Create a campaign plan. Create a list of events, sales and holidays that are relevant to your business and brand so that you can start building a content plan. This will ensure that you are communicating with your subscribers on a regular basis, providing them with value and promoting your business at the same time.
- Decide on a budget. Based on your email marketing requirements, how much budget will you need to dedicate to your efforts in 2017?
Tips for creating a stronger email marketing strategy
Now that you’ve laid your foundation, here are a few tips that you can use to create a much stronger strategy.
Segment your subscribers
Bulk email blasts are a thing of the past. If you really want to start sending more relevant emails, take the time to segment your email list. Surprisingly, 9 out of 10 marketers don’t bother with segmentation even though it’s a proven way to increase your open, click-through and engagement rates. You can segment according to demographics, location, job title or industry. It’s all dependant on the data you have available to you.
Design for desktop and mobile
If your emails aren’t mobile friendly you can forget about increasing your conversions in 2017. In 2016, over 50% of all email users used mobile devices to read their emails and there’s no doubt that that number will increase next year. Make sure that you are designing for both desktop and mobile user next year and that you’re testing your emails on multiple devices.
Automate your emails
Email automation not only saves you time and money but it gives your subscribers a more personalized experience with your brand. Automated emails are triggered when a user takes a specific action and really come in handy when you have a very large email database. Welcome emails, cart abandonment emails and subscription renewal reminders are all examples of automated emails.
There is no one-size-fits-all solution to email marketing so make 2017 the year that you discover what your subscribers are all about. Find out what makes them tick. Take the time to experiment with email send times, colors, fonts, images and content to find out what’s going to generate the most engagement and conversions.
Take personalization to the next level
Personalization has moved beyond simply addressing a subscriber by name. That is still a personalization tactic that you can use but the rest of your data will come in handy here too. Look at a subscriber’s past purchases or browsing history to make your email content more relevant.
Focus on your previews
Not only is it important to test how your email looks in a preview pane but your pre-header text needs to support your subject line if you want to increase opens. Keep key information and your call-to-action above the fold for maximum impact.
Give your subscribers the power
If you want your brand to come across as more trustworthy, let your subscribers control their preferences. Let them decide how often they would like to hear from you and what content is most important to them. This might even save you some time as their preferences will be readily available to you when you need them for targeting and segmentation purposes.
Make email hygiene second nature
If you want to achieve the best possible deliverability rates in 2017 you need to practice email hygiene on a regular basis. By scrubbing your database you’ll be getting rid of spam traps as well as invalid and non-existent email addresses.
Originally posted 2017-12-26 22:09:35. Republished by Blog Post Promoter